Home  |   Contact Us  |   City Directory  |   Site Map

Welcome to the City of Hailey

General Information


Home > City Departments > Public Works > Street Department

Street Department

General Information

What We Do

Street Department The street department is responsible for city-wide maintenance. Some of our departmental responsibilities include:

Annual projects such as replacing and trimming main street trees, painting all cross walks and parking spaces, crossing flags, flood control, street sign repair and replacement, supervision of all utility work done in the city right of ways and other encroachments, and supervision of new subdivision development.

Road maintenance such as shoulder work, pot hole repair, culvert cleaning, road sweeping, snow plowing, sanding of roads, and peeling ice off roads.

Parks Maintenance such as the repair of playground equipment, removal of garbage, cleanup of vandalism, and assistance with many various community projects and major events.

Encroachment Facts

Many citizens do not know what an encroachment is. The City of Hailey has a Municipal Code concerning encroachments. Our city officials want everyone to be informed of:

What is an Encroachment?

"Encroachment" means any excavation, digging, paving, landscaping, and construction of an improvement or placement of personal property within an Easement or Right of Way. Encroachments include, but are not limited to fences, sidewalks, driveways, mailboxes, newspaper boxes, utility boxes, and poles, trees, shrubs, grass, sprinklers and other landscaping improvements.

What is a Right of Way?

"Right of Way" (ROW) means any property owned by or dedicated to the City of Hailey for the purposes of providing city services and general circulation to the public. Such Rights of Way include, but are not limited to, the following: public streets, alleys and sidewalks.

What is an Easement?

"Easements" means any right created by grant, reservation, agreement, prescription or necessary implication in favor of the City of Hailey to use the land of another, including but not limited to an easements for vehicular access and utilities.

Municipal Code Section 12.60.010

What is approved to be in the Right of Way or Easement?

The only items approved to be in a Right of Way or Easement are:

1) Driveway
2) Drainage
3) Grass
4) Gravel

What is not approved to be in the Right of Way or Easement?

Some items that are not to be in a Right of Way or Easement are:

1) Berms
2) Shrubs
3) Trees
4) Landscaping
5) Walls
6) Fences
7) Large Rocks

Why is it unlawful to have something parked, blocking or encroaching the Right of Way?

The city crews, such as emergency responders, police, and snow removal, must have access to public streets and areas. It also poses a danger to the general public. All persons doing work in the City Rights of Way must purchase an Encroachment Permit and have all work approved by the City before starting any project. The company or person signing the permit is responsible for all clean up of the Right of Way after the project is completed. All projects done in the Right of Way must have a final inspection done before the City will sign off on the Encroachment Permit or before any certificate of occupancy is issued.

How do I find out where the City Right of Way is and where my property line begins?

It varies, because street Rights of Way (ROW) vary. If a street ROW is 60 feet wide, an approximate measurement to the property line is 18 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 18 feet belongs to the City. If a street ROW is 80 feet wide, the approximate measurement is 28 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 28 feet belongs to the City. If a street ROW measures 100 feet wide, the approximate measurement is 38 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 38 feet belongs to the City. You can contact the Public Works Department at 788-9830, extension 22 to get information on your street Right of Way. The most accurate way to find your property line is to have it professionally surveyed to locate the property pins.

Back to Top

Public Utility Easement & City Right of Way


A ten foot snow storage and easement is reserved beyond all 60', 80' and 100' Street Right of Ways. Nothing may be placed or constructed in this area. Not limited to and including Trees, Pavers and Berms without prior consent of the Street Superintendent.

Landscapers & Contractors

All barrow pits must retain designed flow for drainage purposes. All landscaping, construction debris or fill dirt blocking or obstructing the flow of the barrow pits will be removed before a certificate of occupancy will be issued on all dwellings.

Contractors & Utility Companies

All trenches dug within 4ft of a paved road or across a paved road must be compacted to 95% of proctor and will be guaranteed for 3 years. This includes all trenching in barrow pits in the City of Hailey right of way. All landscaping and barrow pits will be returned to as good as or better condition as they were before being disturbed. All projects within the City of Hailey right of way need to be inspected by the City of Hailey.

Back to Top

Weed Control

The City of Hailey works in conjunction with Blaine County Weed Control in carrying out weed control activities on city right of ways and alley ways. Residents who prefer to pull weeds by hand that are in city right of ways adjacent to their properties, may do so by notifying the City Parks Division Manager in advance at 788-5965. Weeds should be pulled and placed in bags for disposal in the garbage. The various herbicides used for weed control include the following:

Esplanade: Non-selective herbicide for emerged and pre-emerged grasses and broadleaf
weeds in Non-Crop Areas including, Paths, Parking Lots, Curbs, Sidewalks,
Driveways, Around Buildings, Gravel areas, Loading Ramps, Educational
Facilities, Storage Yards, Vacant Lots, Railroad and Rail Yards, Managed
Roadsides, Fence Rows, Utilities, Parks, Hardscapes (including crack and
crevice), Industrial, Municipal, Mulched Areas, and Government Sites.

Esplanade Label

Esplanade MSDS

Vanquish:  Vanquish is a liquid post-emergent herbicide that contains Diglycolamine® for effective management of broadleaf weeds, brush and vines in a variety of VM settings. Vanquish offers superb control of over 200 broadleaf weeds, brush, and vine species and is also an ideal tank-mix partner for even more comprehensive vegetation control. After application, the active ingredient Dicamba is easily absorbed through the leaf surface and the translocates throughout the plant causing the weed to collapse.

Vanquish Label

Vanquish MSDS

Platoon: For control of many broadleaf weeds and brush control in corn, soybeans (pre-plant), small grains, pastures, rangelands, and other listed crops and in non-crop areas such as lawns, ornamental turf, drainage ditchbanks, fence rows, and right of ways. Also for aquatic weed control, control of trees by injection, and tank mixes.

Platoon Label

Platoon MSDS

R-11: A non-toxic, non-foaming spreader/activator that enhances performance of agricultural chemicals.

R-11 Label


HI-LIGHT: Industrial strength spray pattern indicator.

Hi-Light MSDS

Dimension Specialty Herbicide: Dimension

Contact Information

Street Shop
1811 Merlin Loop
Phone: 788-5965

Kelly Schwarz
Street Superintendent
Phone: 788-5965 ext. 10
E-mail: kelly.schwarz@haileycityhall.org

Back to Top