Home  |   Contact Us  |   City Directory  |   Site Map

Welcome to the City of Hailey

General Information

Current Issues




Comprehensive Plan

Applications & Fees


The mailing list of all property owners within 300 feet of the exterior boundaries must be supplied with your application. Find your property on http://maps.co.blaine.id.us and copy and paste the info from the county "adjoiners list" to an Excel spreadsheet and email to planning@haileycityhall.org. Ask us for help if needed!

External Links

By clicking this link you are now exiting the City of Hailey (or other City Department) website. The City of Hailey is not responsible for and has not confirmed the accuracy of the content of the linked website. By continuing on to the linked website, you are acknowledging that the City of Hailey is not liable for any damage resulting from your visit to the linked website.

Home > City Departments > Community Development Department

Community Development Department

General Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Upcoming Meetings


What We Do

The Community Development Department provides professional and technical advice to elected officials, appointed commissions, city departments, and citizens to assist in their understanding of City planning and zoning ordinances, building and safety codes and permitting,standards and policies. The department handles all applications for land use development within the City of Hailey.  

View Current Hailey Zoning Map

View Zoning District Use Matrix

View Townsite Overlay District Regulations

2014 Zoning Map Updates:

  1. FEMA flood plain: FEMA revised their map in November 2010. This map has incorporated these changes to the flood plain, which now are more cleary outlined throughout the City. The Special Flood Hazard Area (100 year flood) is now designated by thick red outlining where the floodplain lies.
  2. Addressing: all parcels are identified by the legal description and physical address. In the past, all areas outside of the Townsite Overlay have been identified by both the legal description and the physical address. The parcels within the Townsite Overlay have never been labeled with physical addresses because of the limited space available for multiple labels on the small parcels, typical of lots in the Townsite. The Planning Department has been able to solve this problem and all addressing should be clearly visible throughout the City.
  3. An annexation and two zoning changes are included in this map. The zone changes are located at South Main Street and South Glenbrook Drive.

Mission Statement

Plan for growth while preserving community values and increasing our environmental, economic and social sustainability.

The purpose of the Hailey Community Development Department is to apply best practices to 1) ensure efficient land use, development and growth management, 2) ensure compliance with city policies and standards and 3) provide the public with information and assistance.

The Community Development Department’s core values, the principles that direct the way we do business, are:

  • Professional and Ethical
  • Thorough and Accurate
  • Proactive and Corrective
  • Open-minded and Creative
  • Communicative and Collaborative
  • Organized and Efficient
  • Responsive and Adaptable
  • Approachable and Knowledgeable


Planning and Zoning Commission


  • Janet Fugate, Chair
  • Regina Korby, Vice-Chair
  • Owen Scanlon, Commissioner
  • Dan Smith, Commissioner
  • Richard Pogue, Commissioner

Contact Information

Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday        
Our physical & mailing address: 115 Main St. South, Hailey, ID  83333

           Lisa Horowitz
           Community Development Director
                Phone: 208-788-9815 ext. 13
                E-mail: lisa.horowitz@haileycityhall.org

* Lisa Horowitz is available Mondays/Wednesdays 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
& Tuesdays/Thursdays 10:30 am - 2:30 pm

           Kristine Hilt
           Community Development Coordinator
                Phone: 208-788-9815 ext. 27
                E-mail: kristine.hilt@haileycityhall.org

           Department of Building Safety
           Jim Lynch

           Building Inspector
                Phone: 208-788-9815 ext. 16
                Cell: 208-720-9884
                E-mail: building.official@haileycityhall.org

           Jeff Eagan, Architect
           Building Program Coordinator
                Phone: 208-788-9815 ext. 16
                Cell: 208-481-1366
                E-mail: building.official@haileycityhall.org

           Arlan Smith
           Building Program Manager
                Phone: 208-334-3950
                E-mail: arlan.smith@dbs.idaho.gov


Frequently Asked Questions



Q1. What is the zoning of my property?

A.  To determine the zoning district your property is located in, please view the map posted at the top of this page or come to City Hall to view the Hailey Zoning Map, or call the Planning Department. You'll need the property's legal description or a detailed description of the property's location, so we can find it on our map.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q2. What are the allowed uses on my property?

A.  Each zoning district has Permitted, Accessory, and Conditional Uses (a Permit is required for a Conditional Use). These are listed for each district in the Hailey Zoning Ordinance. If you do not know the zoning district your property is located in, please call the Planning Department.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q3. What are the setbacks for my property?

A.  The required front, rear, and side yard setbacks vary between zoning districts. Setbacks are listed for each district in the Hailey Zoning Ordinance.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q4. Are front setbacks measured from the edge of the street?

A.  Yes and No. Setbacks are not measured from the edge of the pavement, but from the edge of the street right-of-way (Street right-of-way widths in Hailey vary between 60 and 100 feet). The best way to determine the exact location of all your property lines is to have a land surveyor locate the actual property pins. Click HERE for Hailey street widths.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q5. Do I need a permit to operate a Daycare?

A.  Daycare businesses are defined in three categories:

  1. Daycare Homes: providing care for six or fewer children at any one time.
  2. Daycare Facilities: providing care for no more than twelve children at any one time.
  3. Daycare Centers: providing care for thirteen or more children.

All categories of daycare businesses require a Daycare License from the City of Hailey. Contact City Hall regarding licensing. Depending on the zoning district, some categories also need a Conditional Use Permit. The Planning Department will assist you with this permit application.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q6. Can I have a business in my home?

A.  Home occupations are permitted uses in residential zoning districts, however, these must be clearly incidental and secondary to the use of a dwelling as a residence and not negatively impact the surrounding neighborhood. Home occupations must meet all of the following criteria as set forth in the Hailey Zoning Ordinance:


  1. The home occupation shall not change the residential character of the dwelling or neighborhood.
  2. There shall be no exterior advertising.
  3. There shall be no sale or rental of stocks, supplies or products conducted on the premises.
  4. There shall be no exterior storage on the premises of material or equipment associated with the home occupation.
  5. There shall be no offensive noise, vibration, smoke, dust, odors, heat, or glare noticeable at or beyond the property lines.
  6. The home occupation shall not create the need for additional parking.
  7. The home occupation shall employ no unrelated person who is not a permanent resident of the dwelling.
  8. There shall be no significant increase in traffic in the vicinity of the dwelling as a result of the home occupation.
  9. Storage of explosive, combustible or hazardous materials shall conform to the regulations and restrictions adopted by the City in the Uniform Building Code.


FAQs | Back to Top

Q7. I have a complaint about certain uses on a neighbor's property. How do I resolve the problem?

A.  Consider talking to your neighbor with the intent of working out your problem before involving the City in the matter. If you are unsuccessful in your diplomatic efforts, please submit your complaints, including as many details as possible, in writing to the City. The Planning Department will review the complaint, and if there is a zoning violation, will work to resolve the situation.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q8. What is the purpose of Design Review?

A.  The Design Review process was established in order to protect property rights and values, and ensure that the general appearance of buildings and site improvements are consistent with the goals of the City. These goals include: enhancement of properties with adequate landscaping, proper circulation within parking areas, and to encourage architecture that responds to the needs of the users, as well as presents an attractive exterior to the public and adjoining property owners. Nearly all commercial, industrial, public and multi-family residential (three or more units) projects have a requirement for Design Review approval.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q9. How soon can I get my application on a Planning and Zoning Commission's agenda?

A.  The Planning Department's deadline is approximately 5 1/2 weeks prior to the Commission meetings. This allows the Planning staff time to certify the application as complete, the City Department Heads to review the application to ensure it meets basic standards, and following this review, adequate time for providing notice of the Public Hearing as required by Idaho State Code.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q10. I know the City has an Outdoor Lighting Ordinance. How does it affect me or my business?

A.  The Hailey Outdoor Lighting Ordinance is intended to cut down on unsafe glare to motorists and pedestrians, and to prevent light trespass onto neighboring properties, by requiring all outdoor lighting to be full cut-off and downcast. By directing the light downward, many residences and businesses are able to decrease the wattages of their lights, therefore reducing energy consumption. All residential users as well as business owners should be in full compliance with this ordinance at this time. For the full text of the ordinance, click here. For further questions, call 788-9815, ext. 27.

FAQs | Back to Top

Flood Plain Management

Are you prepared for a flood in your neighborhood?


It's never too late to think about long term planning to prevent flood loss in the future, and to provide peace of mind when the snow pack starts to melt.

The City of Hailey has a Flood Hazard Overlay District, which includes all property that has been determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to be in the Special Flood Hazard Area. This zoning district has been set up to promote the public health, safety, and general welfare, and to minimize public and private losses due to flood conditions.


The main watercourses within Hailey are the Big Wood River, Indian Creek, and Quigley Creek. If you live or own property near one of these waterways, you may be in the floodplain. FEMA produces a Flood Insurance Rate map (FIRM), which is available for review at the City of Hailey. To find out where your property is in relation to the floodplain, contact the Floodplain Administrator at 788-9815 X 27.


The City of Hailey participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, which assures that flood insurance is available to everyone in the City. This program is set up to help reduce the flood hazard and lower the cost of flood insurance within the city. If you live in the floodplain and do not have flood insurance, check with your insurance agent. A standard homeowner's insurance policy does not provide flood damage coverage. According to most insurance carriers in the area, a 30-day waiting period exists for flood insurance to be effective, so if you feel flooding in your neighborhood may impact you make sure that you have your flood insurance in place ahead of time.


The City of Hailey regulates activities, which occur within the Flood Hazard Overlay District through Section 4.10 of Zoning Ordinance # 532.

A Floodplain Development Permit is required prior to any development within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This includes additions to existing buildings, any excavation or grading, the construction of new structures, and stream alteration. Some projects may also require approval from the Idaho Department of Water Resources and the Army Corp of Engineers. If you are uncertain if your project would require a permit and/or prior approval, please contact the Floodplain Administrator or Building Departments prior to the commencement of any work.


Floodplains provide many benefits and functions, which are valuable to our community. Simply put, a properly functioning floodplain helps reduce flood losses and erosion, improves water quality and wildlife habitat, and provides recreational and educational opportunities.

It is important to remember that even if you are not directly adjacent to the river or creek, your actions could impact the quality of the water. Storm water drains to the waterways and carries with it any pollutants it encounters along the way. Common pollutants, which seriously impact the water quality, include fertilizer, pesticides and oils.


A couple of issues regarding the Quigley Flood Study have come to light with the expansion of Wood River High School. A stream alteration has been constructed by the City, Quigley Canyon Ranch, and the Blaine County School District so that potential floodwaters would come down the new canal adjacent to the new high school. There is an increased possibility of water being seen in the Woodside canals when there has not been water in those channels for many years. Please be cautious if this does occur, especially with regard to children and pets playing near the canals.

It has recently come to our attention that FEMA will be re-evaluating the Quigley Flood Study, as it appears to be in error. Based on funding, FEMA will conduct an ongoing study and amend their flood map which will likely remove portions of Woodside from its flood hazard area. This project is one that will require several years to complete, and your patience with our staff will be greatly appreciated. Projected date of completion is fall of 2017 based on funding of course.

Back to Top