The Hailey Historic Preservation Commission

Hailey Main Street at Croy Street looking North 1913.

National Register of Historic Places

The HPC will be launching a campaign to encourage eligible property owners in getting their properties listed with the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).

As a Certified Local Government, the City of Hailey and the HPC have obtained grant monies to help subsidize the cost of registering properties with the NRHP. We will be developing a program to assist interested eligible property owners to navigate and finance the process.Get involved!

These are the properties that have been deemed most eligible by the historic consultants in conjunction with the State Historic Preservation Office.

Property Name
S. M. Friedman House
Horn House
Aukema House
W. H. Beamer House
Hailey Masonic Lodge
Community Baptist Church
Peter & Marie Snider House
Assay Office (Thrift Store)
Harris Building
Obenchain Insurance
Harris Apartments
J. J. Tracy Building
The Rialto Bar & Grill
Fox Barn
Rodeo Grounds

Address
215 E. Silver St.
202 N. 3rd Ave.
102 S. 4th Ave.
202 S. 4th Ave.
100 S. 2nd Ave.
200 S. 3rd Ave
203 E. Bullion
19 E. Bullion St
100 N. Main
102 N. Main
302-310 S. Main
111 S. Main
201 S. Main

For more information on the historic surveys of Hailey, see the National Register Page.

Blaine County Courthouse
1st and Croy Streets., Hailey
(added 1978 - Building - #78001050)

The cornerstone was laid August 11, 1883. The structure features three-stories, a major stone foundation, fancy window sill trim and widow’s walk over the front steps. The building housed all the county offices, courtroom and jail. A two story vault and a jury room were added in 1907. The $40,000 cost of building the courthouse made it the most expensive in the Idaho Territory and severely strapped Alturas County when the county was drastically reduced in size in 1889. When Blaine County was created in 1895, the county’s money crunch eased a bit.

Photo

Historic Significance:

Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Area of Significance:

Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:
Current Sub-function:

Event, Architecture/Engineering
Knapp, Horace Greeley
Italianate
Architecture, Politics/Government
1875-1899
Local Government
Government
Courthouse
Government
Courthouse

 

Photo

Emmanuel Episcopal Church
101 2nd Ave., S., Hailey
(added 1977 - Building - #77000457)

Built on a stone foundation and Quigley Gulch bricks, this appealing church features gothic arches and two corbelled chimneys. The cornerstone was laid in July 1885 and the first services were held in the unfinished church on Christmas Eve, 1885. This is Hailey's oldest church structure.

Historic Significance:
Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:
Current Sub-function:

Architecture/Engineering
Castro, J.M.B.
Gothic Revival
Architecture
1875-1899
Private
Religion
Religious Structure
Religion
Religious Structure

 

Fox, J. C., Building
S. Main St., Hailey (added 1983 - Building - #83000279)

Built by Dr. Earl William Fox in 1920, it was heated from water piped in from the Hailey Hot springs. The first floor housed a saloon, the first National Bank of Hailey and a jewelry store. The second floor housed the 10-room hospital, which continued into the 1960s. Many townspeople were born under the skylight, which was replicated twice more when the building was renovated in 1984. Doc Fox was born in 1887 and raised in Hailey. He received his education at the Barnes Medical School at the University of St. Louis and did post graduate study at the Mayo Clinic. He gave 41 years of medical service to the community. For his long-distance calls he used the forerunner of the snowmobile, powered by an airplane engine. The Hailey Public Library and City Hall now occupies the space that formerly housed the Odd Fellows Hall, the State Theater, owned by Sonny Osborne, and the J. C. Fox Building.

Photo

Historic Significance:
Architectural Style:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:

Architecture/Engineering
Early Commercial
Architecture
1900-1924
Private
Commerce/Trade, Health Care
Hospital
Commerce/Trade, Work In Progress

 

Photo

Site of Hiawatha Hotel, also known as Alturas Hotel
First Ave. and Croy St., Hailey
(added 1986 - Building - #74000733)

Historic Significance:
Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:
Current Sub-function:

Architechture/Engineering

Unknown
No Style Listed
Architecture
1875-1899
Private
Domestic
Hotel
Domestic
Hotel, Multiple Dwelling

Now Atkinsons’ Market. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1885 at a cost of $65,000. The three-story brick hotel, which featured a wood stove in every room, was billed as "the finest 82 room hotel between Denver and the West Coast." Apartments were in 1915. It burned in 1899. When rebuilt, hot water was piped from the Hailey Hot Springs west of town to heat the building and provide water for the plunge in the back where many townspeople learned to swim. A fire in January 1979 marked the final end of a proud Hailey landmark.

 

Pound, Homer, House

Pound, Homer, House
314 2nd Ave., S., Hailey (added 1978 - Building - #78001051)

Historic Significance:

Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Historic Person:
Significant Year:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:
Current Sub-function:

Person, Architecture/Engineering
Knapp, Horace Greeley

No Style Listed
Pound, Ezra
1884
Architecture, Literature
1875-1899
Private
Domestic
Single Dwelling
Domestic
Single Dwelling

Photo

This home was built in 1883, the poet Ezra Pound was born here on October 30, 1885. In December, his mother Isabel took him to live in the Alturas Hotel because the house was too cold. Father Homer was registrar at the U. S. Land Office in Hailey from 1883 to 1887. The family left the valley behind the railroad’s first rotary snowplow. Ezra was 15 ½ months old. The wrought iron fence is one of the few remaining. Ezra Pound is recognized for his outstanding contribution to world literature. He has been referred to as the father of modern literature. Pound had influence on new writers like James Joyce, T. S. Eliot, and Amy Lowell. He helped Ernest Hemingway’s first short story collection get published. He was accused of being anti-Semitic during World War II. Roberta McKercher owned and lived in the home until her death. It is now owned by the Sun Valley Center for the Arts.

 

St. Charles of the Valley Catholic Church and Rectory St. Charles of the Valley Catholic Church and Rectory
St. Charles of the Valley Catholic Church and Rectory
also known as Father Keys House
Pine and S. 1st Sts., Hailey (added 1982 - Building - #82000321)

Built in 1913 by Rev. Nicholas F. Wirtzberger for the Diocese of Boise at a cost of $7,200, this church features an elaborate symmetrical belfry with stamped metal. St. Charles was the first parish established west of Boise and is considered the mother parish of Southeastern Idaho. The first structure was located on the site of Atkinsons’ market. A circular window from the original church may still be seen in the Reinheimer Barn along highway 75 south of Ketchum.

Historic Significance:
Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:
Current Sub-function:

Architecture/Engineering
Tourtellotte & Hummel
Gothic Revival
Architecture
1900-1924, 1925-1949
Private
Religion
Church Related Residence, Religious Structure
Religion
Church Related Residence, Religious Structure

 

Photo Watt, W. H., Building
Watt, W. H., Building, also known as
Bullwhacker Building 120 N. Main St., Hailey
(added 1983 - Building - #83000281)
Photo

Historic Significance:
Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Historic Person:
Significant Year:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:

Person, Architecture/Engineering
Unknown
No Style Listed
Werthheimer, Leopold
1889
Architecture, Commerce
1875-1899
Private
Commerce/Trade
Specialty Store
Commerce/Trade

Built in 1889 of hand-molded brick with a mortared stone foundation. An original sign can still be seen on the south-side of the building. It became the office of Dr. Robert Wright, who practiced in town for 60 years. Born south of Bellevue in 1881, he received his degree from Medical School American college in St. Louis. He worked in the Minnie Moore Mine west of Bellevue to earn money for school and rode the sheep trains to St. Louis. He organized the rescue effort at the disastrous avalanche at the North Star mine in 1917. Dr. Wright through the 40s. Then Tom Stivers’ Sawtooth Title Co. Restaurant in the last 20 years. Rec District in the back, upstairs a café, Chapter One downstairs. This is now home of Christopher & Co.

Bullion Block House

Bullion Block House (also known as the Werthheimer Building)
101 S. Main St., Hailey (added 1985 - Building - #85002160)

Built in 1882, the Bullion Block House is also known as the Werthheimer Building. This building was the first courthouse, the jail was located in the basement. The second story was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. This building also served in the past as Vancil’s Grocery and The Sage Shop, it is now North and Company.

Photo

Historic Significance:

Architect, builder, or engineer:
Architectural Style:
Historic Person:
Significant Year:
Area of Significance:
Period of Significance:
Owner:
Historic Function:
Historic Sub-function:
Current Function:

Person, Architecture/Engineering
Unknown

No Style Listed
Werthheimer, Leopold
1889
Architecture, Commerce
1875-1899
Private
Commerce/Trade
Specialty Store
Commerce/Trade

 

back to top