Home  |   Contact Us  |   City Directory  |   Site Map

Welcome to the City of Hailey

General Information

Check Sheets

Building Permit Reports

Historic Preservation


Property Owner's Spreadsheet for Historic Demolition Application

The mailing list of all property owners within 300 feet of the exterior boundaries (obtainable at the County Assessors Office or http://maps.co.blaine.id.us) must be supplied with your application.  Simply copy and paste the info from the county to an Excel spreadsheet and download to a disk. If you need assistance contact Kristine Hilt, 788-9815, extension 27.

Home > City Departments > Building

Building & Safety

General Information

Frequently Asked Questions

What We Do

Building Department The Building Official is responsible for administering and enforcing the International Building Code as well as portions of the Municipal Code and local City Ordinances. This is done through the plan-checking stage and then again at the field inspection stage.


Mission Statement

The Building Official promotes the general health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Hailey, to assist the citizens with the CODE AND PERMIT PROCESS, to work with developers and contractors in achieving their goals, and work with other City departments for a coordinated effort. We strive to achieve these goals and contribute to the overall mission of the City by:

  • Administration and compliance of the codes and standards adopted from the State of Idaho that regulate building construction.

  • Administration and compliance of the City of Hailey Ordinances as they relate to building and properties located in the City.

  • Provide information to the public and to assist them in understanding and the application of the adopted codes and ordinances.

  • Insure that those individuals and companies that do business in the City meet the regulatory standards set forth in the building code and local ordinances for the business and occupation in which they are operating.

  • Participate in the preservation of historic resources as outlined in the City Ordinances and state preservation guidelines.

  • Promote energy conservation by incentivizing the construction of energy efficient buildings in the City.

Building Permit Procedure


Building Department The following is a brief outline of the steps necessary to obtain a building permit. Complete the application for a building permit. The application can be obtained at City Hall or downloaded from here. The completed and signed application MUST be brought to City Hall for approval..

All structural portions of the plans must be stamped by an architect and/or an engineer licensed in the State of Idaho. Architectural drawings for commercial projects usually require an architects stamp.

Submit one (1) set of complete electronic plans for Residential and Commericial and two (2) sets of complete hard copy plans for Commercial projects. Design must be in accordance with the 2012 International Building Code (Commercial) or the 2009 International Residential Code (Residential). These plans must be to scale and must contain the following:  site plan, foundation, concrete detail, all 4 elevations, roof framing detail, floor framing plan and floor plan. At least one elevation shall include lines representing the site's record grade and finished grade. Civil drawings are required for all new commercial projects.

Plans will be checked for compliance with the 2012 Edition of the International Building Codes and city ordinances. View Residential Plan Submittal Requirements and Residential Plan Checksheet

Please allow one to two weeks between plan submittal and permit issuance for residential projects. View What makes a home qualify for ENERGY STAR - Above Code

All roof systems must be engineered for not less than a 100 pound snow load. Seismic design category is D1. Wind load is category B1 (90 mph).

Footings are to be a minimum of 24 inches under ground.

Check with the Building Official for additional local amendments to the International Building Code.

Excavation for footings is considered "start of work" and therefore a permit is required.

Back to Top


The following inspections are required.  Please call (208) 788-9815, extension 16 for these inspections, not less than 24 hours in advance.  

  • Footings - All steel to be secured in place (make sure property pins are available for setback requirements).
  • Stem Walls - All steel secured in place; include seismic holddowns.
  • Framing - After all plumbing, electrical and HVAC has been installed and prior to insulation.  View Framing Inspection Checklist
  • Energy - After all windows and doors have been installed and sealed and insulation has been installed and sealed.
  • Final - Prior to occupancy of the building. View Final Inspection Checklist

Other inspections such as sheetrock, shear wall nailing, firewall construction and concrete masonry unit construction may be required depending on the nature of the project.  That will be determined at permit issuance.  Additional fees may be assessed for these types of inspections.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. I'm planning to remodel my house. Do I need a permit to do that?

A.  Yes! The building code states you must obtain a permit to do any of the following; erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish. You do not need a permit to paint or reside.  You do, however, need a building permit for replacing any windows to ensure that the windows are installing according to the building code.  In addition the building code does not require a permit to replace floor coverings such as carpet, tile or linoleum.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q2. Do I need a permit for a re-roof?

A.  Yes! If it's just a small patch job then a permit is not required. A re-roof is considered a repair or remodel.

FAQs | Back to Top

Q3. Do I need a permit for a fence?

A.  Yes! A $30 permit fee is charged for all fences regardless of size or length. Do not forget to complete the second page of this application. All fence permits are reviewed and approved through the Community Development Department's planning and zoning staff. 

Download fence permit here

Hailey Street Widths

                                                   FAQs | Back to Top

Q4. What are the restrictions for installing a fence?

A.  Fences shall not exceed 4 ft. in height, when located within the required front yard setback and 6 ft. when located within the required side and rear yard setbacks. If the house is located on a corner lot, the fence cannot be located within 75 ft. of the centerline intersection of the two streets. No barbed wire or other sharp pointed metal fence and no electrically charged fence shall be permitted unless approved by the Planning and Zoning commission. View fence regulations Hailey Zoning Ordinance, Article VIII, 8.1 Fences

FAQs | Back to Top

Q5. Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?

A.  Only if it's larger than 200 sq. ft. or if it's attached to the house or garage. Sheds cannot exceed 12 ft. in height. If your shed does qualify for a permit, it must be placed on a concrete foundation and must have an 100 lbs.roof system on it.

Shed/Accessory Structures Brochure

FAQs | Back to Top

Q6. Where can I place a shed on my property?

A.  Accessory Structures with a floor area of 120 square feet or less:

Except as otherwise provided herein, Accessory Structures with a floor area of 120 square feet or less are required to be setback a minimum of three (3) feet from either: 1) the side and/or rear property line, or 2) the Principle Building and any other Accessory Structure.

  1. On Normal Corner Lots, Detached Accessory Structures with a floor area of  120   square feet or less shall have a minimum side yard setback of two thirds (2/3) the front yard setback requirement for the zoning district in which the lot is located.
  2. Within the Business District, in the case where an alley is located along the side or rear lot line of the property, Accessory Structures with a floor area of 120 square feet or less shall be setback a minimum of six (6) feet.
  3. Within the Business District, Detached Accessory Structures may be built to the property line, provided the structure has a one (1) hour fire resistive wall. Contact the Building Official for details.


  • Detached Accessory Structures with a floor area of 120 square feet or less and are located a minimum of three (3) feet from the side and/or rear property line shall have a maximum bearing wall height of eight (8) feet and maximum building height of twelve (12) feet.
  • Detached Accessory Structures with a floor area of 120 square feet or less shall comply with all applicable Building Code requirements.
  • Attached accessory structures and structures larger than 120 sq. ft. shall have a setback established by the zoning district in which the lot is located and shall also require a building permit.


Radon Test Kits

To acquire a free radon home test kit, please go to the following website:

www.drhomeair.com and then go to Idaho Radon Program to request your kit.

Back to Top

Contact Information

Jim Lynch
Building Inspector
Phone: 788-9815 ext.16
E-mail: building.official@haileycityhall.org

Kristine Hilt
Community Development Coordinator
Phone: 788-9815 ext.27
E-mail: kristine.hilt@haileycityhall.org

Back to Top